Gear box issues

Kagz

The check engine light comes on and stays on for like two weeks then it goes off for like a week. The electrical mec tells me I need to replace my gear box. When the light is on it lazy on the road, doesn't respond well when I step on the gas though I can still drive it manual.
When off, it handles like it should, it's very fast and doesn't drag.
Has anyone else experienced this, do I really have to replace my gear box? It's a 2014

Elvin

If you are experiencing issues with the check engine light coming on intermittently and noticing a difference in the performance of your vehicle, it is essential to properly diagnose the underlying problem before considering replacing the gearbox. While a faulty gearbox could potentially cause some of the symptoms you described, it is not the only possible cause.

The check engine light illuminates when the onboard diagnostic system detects a problem with the engine or its components. It could be triggered by various issues, such as sensor malfunctions, fuel system problems, ignition issues, or transmission-related faults. Therefore, it is crucial to have the vehicle properly diagnosed to identify the specific trouble codes stored in the engine control module (ECM).

Rather than solely relying on the advice of an electrical mechanic, it is recommended to take your vehicle to a reputable mechanic or a Toyota dealership with expertise in diagnosing and repairing the specific model and year of your vehicle. They can perform a comprehensive diagnostic scan, retrieve the trouble codes, and conduct further testing to determine the exact cause of the symptoms.

Once the root cause is identified, the appropriate repairs or replacements can be performed. It might be related to the gearbox, but it could also be related to other components or systems within the vehicle. Proper diagnosis is crucial to avoid unnecessary expenses and ensure the correct repairs are carried out.

Remember to communicate all the symptoms you have experienced, including the intermittent check engine light, changes in performance, and any other relevant information. This will help the technician accurately diagnose the issue and provide the most appropriate solution.

Replacing the gearbox should only be considered if it is confirmed as the source of the problem through thorough diagnosis. It is advisable to seek a professional opinion before making any decisions regarding major repairs or replacements.